Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Our Team: Meet Zach Murphy, Landscape Architecture

Zachary Murphy
Studio W,  Associate/Construction Manager
At Studio W, our company values, integrity and knowledge are never more apparent than when you meet our employees. Studio W feels fortunate to have such wonderful people on our team! 

Landscape Architecture for me was a simple decision.  I was always outside growing up and spent my childhood outside playing with neighborhood friends, going camping, playing every sport I could and going to work with my Mom at a grade school and my dad at a concrete plant.  If I wasn't outside, I spent my time watching sports or starting another art project.  I remember drawing up plans of my "future house" in grade school.  I always wanted to design and build things from my Halloween costume, bike ramps, arts and crafts and even convincing my dad to let us bury the trampoline so it sat flush with the ground.

In high school, I continued to play sports and take every art class I could.  I began working on a concrete / foreman crew during the summers and found out how rewarding it was to see a project you worked on get installed and used daily.  Even though it was around 100 degrees  most of the time, I was still having fun and enjoying my job.  Working on the concrete crew is when I realized that I wanted a job that combined my love for being outside, designing and building, art, and being part of a team that works together.

In college at Oklahoma State University I majored in Landscape Architecture with an emphasis in Art.  I continued to work in the summers with the concrete crew before I started working for the Turf Management Team for the recreation center at OSU.  This is where I realized how important maintaining the landscape really is.

I am now the Associate / Construction Manager for Studio W.  My role is to prepare sites prior to the commencement of construction work, to plan projects and ensure that they meet the agreed specifications, budget and timescales and to oversee the construction process.

I meet and work with contractors,  work on-site to manage and solve any issues that might arise.  I am the liaison with clients - reporting progress with the professional staff and client.  I manage site inventory and analysis.  And I am a landscape designer - designing the outdoor environment to meet the client's needs.

A few of the projects I have had the privilege to work on are:
Magee - Outdoor Kitchen and hardscape
Oklahoma Farm Bureau - Design and construction management
BancFirst Prague - Planting Plan construction management
Hartnett - Installation of Planting Plan, irrigation system, new gate, new hardscape and stained fence
Porter - Installation of Planting Plan, irrigation, and potted plant design

I am a member of ASLA and the Oklahoma Beta Alumni Association - Event planner for homecoming and other annual events.

In my spare time, I like to watch Oklahoma State University sports, OKC Thunder basketball, Art (painting, woodwork and ceramics).  I also enjoy design, camping, outdoor activities and being with  friends and family.

Everything from my childhood, to the jobs I had growing up lead me to choosing Landscape Architecture as a career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment